Sunday, August 7, 2011

Zuchini Marion Berry Pie



I have a lovely crop of basil growing in my garden this year. All basil is yummy, but this was the tangy version used in Thai food--which my husband and I love. Though my husband requested pasta because he was going to run 10 miles in the morning, I was set on making massaman curry with our garden harvest vegetables and herbs.

I have three very productive zuchinni plants this year, so am always slipping them in meals (berry, peach, banana, yogurt, zuchinni smoothies have been a regular part of breakfast since the harvest season started). My sister made a zuchini pie a few years ago, that resembled apple pie. I thought I would top this delicious Thai meal off with a yummy marion berry-zuchini pie.

The massaman curry was delicious. I used garlic, basil, zuchini from my garden. I added orange bell peppers, potatoes, peanuts, chicken, and curry paste to the coconut milk. After dinner, my children were gathered around the island and my husband was cutting into the beautiful pie (sometimes I burn things, and my meals are not always delicious, so this seemed to be a good food night). My husband had much anticipation for this very beautiful pie. He cut into the pie and as he dished out the first piece he got this disgusted look on his face, gave me a dirty look and stormed off to his room--big baby. The kids and I enjoyed the zuchinni/berry pie with ice cream. I guess my mistake was not pealing the zuchinni--that way it would have been apple berry pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment